Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 2: Tell Us about your Job

I am really lucky when it comes to what I do for my profession. I get to make people look good! I get to take a blank canvas and create somthing beautiful! I am a Hair Stylist. I work at Olde Mill Salon in Layton. I graduated from Stacey's Hands of Champions Beauty College in December of 2009. My first job was at Supercuts in Kaysville, I worked there until I had Autumn. I enjoyed Supercuts for the most part, but I mostly just did kids hair cuts and mens hair cuts. That job helped me to become faster and more efficient, but what Supercuts lacked what the creative side of doing hair. They taught you every hair cut, you had to do it their way. I missed being creative and putting my touch into a cut, a style or a color. Not to mention that I never did any colors, who goes to Supercuts for a color? A crazy person that is really cheap, that's who. (Sorry if you've gone there for one, not trying to be rude.) After my maternaty leave I found a new salon that is a much better fit for me!

THESE ARE THE FUN PEOPLE I WORK WITH!
Jessie
Heather
Tony (he doesn't do hair, he is our receptionist and also my Boss's son) and Jessie again
Emily
Brit
My lovely Boss Lynn and in her chair is our amazing Waxer Kelli (she is the best at brazians! You should get one from her! :)
Bre, Myself and Emily
I love our little Salon. It's cozy and people feel comfortable there. I love our stations, we all have big beautiful mirrors and beautiful tables. Overall I think our salon is great, I wouldn't mind doing a little redecorating though. Emily and I are always coming up with new little things for the salon, little ways to make it better, more organized and more comfortable. The salon is also a full supply which is really nice, so our clients can get all of their home care and maintainance things in one stop!

I really enjoy my work, although it is a little slow. I'm building my clientel right now. I have quite a few regular clients, but when you only get your hair done every 6-8 weeks you have to have A LOT of regulars to keep your days filled up. I work on Wednesdays, Fridays and every other Saturday from 9-5. It's a great schedule for me because I get to be home with Autumn a lot, and I'm keeping up on my skill. I get my social fill for the most part too, which is great.

My favorite things to do are colors and updos. But if you get a color you better let me cut and style it too! I want to see the finished product! There is nothing worse than a color that walks out the door with wet hair. I don't even know what it looks like dry! AH! But that rarely happens. Here are a few pictures of some of the things I have done...

An all over color with foils
A full head weave
A crazy fun updo for a masquerade ball
Full Head weave on my beautiful Mother
FUN short funky cut
Another fun short cut
Color before...
Color After! (I wish the lighing was better so you could see it better)
Long gorgeous hair Updo...the front
The back



Kacee's Wedding updo

5 comments:

Rachael said...

I wish your salon was closer I would totally go to you to have you do my hair!!! You are so good and I'm jealous of the skill. Go Christa!!! :)

Reags said...

hot!

Kacee said...

I love that I'm a hair model... times 2!

You really are so talented at doing hair. I have gotten so many compliments on the color and my wedding hair. Thanks C. Love you girl!

Heather said...

I agree, I wish you were closer!!! the gas money just kills. But I'm so glad you love your job! that is so nice to find something you can be a mother with. I hope I get that lucky.

funsizetessa said...

Agreeeeed with all of the above :)
You're so good, Christa!